Group Walk Schedule
- The Group Walks are Saturday mornings at 8:00. (Please arrive by 7:55.) The walk locations are rotated among six parks around Columbus to make it more convenient for members to attend. Walkers of all paces and fitness levels are welcome to join the group.
The walk locations rotate around the city counter clockwise. The schedule for the next month or so is as follows:
- December 1 - Franklin Park
- December 8 - Whetstone Park
- December 15 - Griggs Reservoir
- December 22 - Heritage Trail
- December 29 - Worthington Trail/Olentangy Park
- January 5 - Sharon Woods
- January 12 - Franklin Park
- January 19 - Whetstone Park
- January 26 - Griggs Reservoir
Next Meeting -- ANNUAL MEETING -- MARCH 3
- The entrance to Sharon Woods is on Cleveland Avenue across from Saint Ann’s Hospital. Go to the first parking lot on the left. Meet at the starting point for the path.
- Worthington Olentangy Trail across from Worthington Hills -- to the right of the Olentangy Valley Centre Shopping Center. The trail is to the south (right) of the mall. You should see lots of cars parked at the trail head. If you need an address for GPS, Hills Market is at 7860 Olentangy River Rd.
- Worthington Olentangy Trail -- Start at Olentangy Park -- If you are taking 315, exit at 161. From the south turn left at 161(Dublin Granville Rd.) From the north, turn right. Go to the first light and turn right on Olentangy River Rd. Take Olentangy River Rd. 1.3 miles until you reach Wilson Bridge Rd. Turn right on Wilson Bridge and go 1/2 mile. The entrance is on the left -- you will see the tennis courts. Turn left. The trail starts near the upper parking area and goes past the tennis courts.
- From 23 take W Wilson Bridge Rd. past the Shops at Worthington Place mall. The trail starts near the upper parking area and goes past the tennis courts. (If you need to put in an address for GPS, 600 W Wilson Bridge Rd. will get you close.)
- Griggs Reservoir Park is on Riverside Drive. The main entrance is just south of Fishinger Road across from Nottingham Road. Turn left and drive south (toward the dam) until you reach the hill. Park at the top of the hill or the parking lot at the bottom of the hill.
- Franklin Park is at 1777 East Broad Street. Meet in the parking lot near the entrance to the Conservatory.
- Whetstone Park is reached west off High Street on Hollenback Drive just south of the Whetstone Library. Meet in the parking lot near the Park of Roses. There is a picnic shelter next to the path at the bridge where we will start.
- Heritage Park Trail Head is located in the Old Hilliard historic district of Hilliard. To reach the park, take exit 1-270 at Exit 13, Cemetery Road. Go west on Cemetery 1.8 miles to the roundabout. Take the first turn off to Main and take Main Street to Center Street, turn left. Parking is on the left after the stop sign.
- Wolfe Park is on East Broad Street just east of Franklin Park. The street address is 105 Park Dr.
- Audubon Park is at 505 W. Whittier St. Plenty of parking. http://grange.audubon.org/visit
- Capital University is on Pleasant Ridge Drive in Bexley. Travel on I-71 to I-70 East. Exit I-70 at the Main Street/Bexley exit. Exit ramp will merge onto Alum Creek Drive then dead end at Main Street (Kroger store will be in front of you). Turn right on Main Street. Proceed East on Main Street to fourth traffic light - Pleasant Ridge Drive. Turn right on Pleasant Ridge (The Capital Center will be on your left).
IF SATURDAY WALK IS CANCELLED...
When the Saturday morning walks are cancelled due to bad weather, we will now automatically reschedule for Sunday at the same Bat-time same Bat-location.
So, how bad does the weather have to be for us to cancel a group walk? Historically, we walk outside year round. Here are some rules of thumb that might cause us to cancel:
- The temperatures drop below 15°.
- The snow is too deep.
- The trails might be icy.
- Rain in the winter.
- Weather advisories.
If we are worried about the weather, the officers discuss it and make a decision. We will try to do that as early on a Saturday morning as possible. We will notify you by email. That said, if you are worried about ice or the cold, please use your own judgment.